Committee Meeting Notes
Moortown GC

PRECIS MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON

SATURDAY JUNE 8, 2019  AT MOORTOWN GC

The Minutes of the last meeting were approved & signed. Many letters of thanks relating to both the Championship and Northern Championship had been received as had a letter from Ros Lumb accepting the position of YVLGA President for 2020-2021

The Lady Captain reported on all the team matches so far, the Championship and the Northern Championship. The Lady President thanked the YVLGA Committee for her invite to the Northern Championship Dinner, she had thoroughly enjoyed it.

Most of the 2019 competitions were oversubscribed. Again, it was stressed that Reps needed to prioritise entries to ensure the same people do not get into competitions each year. Free pencils going down well, as are balls for 2’s. It was suggested that possibly there should be an additional competition added to the Championship. Discussion took place on pace of play in competitions. It was agreed that pace of play policy would be stressed, and if, due to withdrawals, there were 2 balls they should be requested to be patient. No hole in ones to date – but we have the mementos – silver ball markers

An updated Budget Report presented. Deficit for the year would currently seem to be approximately £922. We’ve a record number of members this year 1,370. 89 more than last year & it’s important we continue to stage enough competitions to satisfy the number of entries we receive so that membership won’t drop. Payments to host courses have remained the same for 10 years, so following discussion it was agreed to increase the fee we pay to ensure we continue to be able to book great courses around the county, to support this increase there will also be a small increase in entry fees.

The registrar reported that total membership was up to 1822, including life members. Joyce Slater will take over as Registrar when Karen Leake becomes Captain in October

AOB:

     2019 Reps Meeting: confirmed at Pike Hills for August 22nd at 1100 a.m.  

The NCVLGA have asked if we have anyone who would be interested in standing for the roles of Hon Sec and Treasurer as Yorkshire will be hosting the Jamboree in 2022. If anyone was interested, or knew of anyone who would be, to find a proposer and seconder and forward to Penny prior to our September meeting.


 

SUMMARY OF MINUTES FROM THE COMMITTEE MEETING 19 JANUARY 2019

 10.30 am. AT MOORTOWN GC

Minutes of the last meeting (October 2018) were approved & signed.

MATTERS ARISING:   Suitably Sporty contacted by PR but no response received.  There will be an informal chat with YLCGA Captain on 24 March to discuss through future relationships

LADY CAPTAIN’S REPORT:  There were approximately 24 ladies who had a handicap of 0-6 and would be invited to play in the Trials on Easter Sunday, 21st April. KL was asked to produce exact handicap list for reference.

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:  We had received an approach from Scarborough SC saying they would love to host a competition in either 2020 or 2021.  Easingwold have also said they would like to host an event in their centenary year (2022?).

COMPETITION SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The pace of activity as regards competitions has picked up since the new year in a number of areas:

·        Entries – applications are now beginning to trickle in.  Some issues with reading the names & details and order of priority. 

·        New guide to the rules of golf - have 100 copies of the players edition for the desk plus detailed guide and ‘Official guide to the Rules of golf’.

·        It was decided to purchase a few ‘Hole in One mementos and possibly balls for 2’s.

       ·        Reps to be reminded that the President’s event is for teams from the same Club

TREASURER’S REPORT: Annual subscriptions coming in. A few clubs yet to pay. At the beginning of March when all Competition entries are in, we’ll know better exactly where we stand on actual income v budgeted income

REGISTRAR’S REPORT: 

·        Total Members paid to date – 1682.  Annual – 1229.  Life – 388.  Life non-playing - 65

       ·        Approximately 15 Clubs have not submitted their membership.

NCVLGA CHAMPIONSHIP @ ROTHERHAM GC in 2019:  A good meeting was held on 15th January at Rotherham and things are well advanced and under control.  SP to decide on prizes.  Donations for the Raffle would be much appreciated.  There will be a final meeting in April and we have asked if any members of the Northern Committee would like to attend.

WEBSITE / EMAIL:  HD has approached the website company to see about possibly modernising our Website.

AOB:  A link to the England Golf website regarding Transgender Policy should be put in place.

 


  SUMMARY OF MINUTES FROM THE COMMITTEE MEETING 20 OCTOBER 2018
10.30am at MOORTOWN GC

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING: Approved and signed.

CORRESPONDENCE: From Penny Holroyd – thanks for book token, following completion of her term as Comp Sec. From Brenda Parker (Alison Nicholas fund), thanking YVLGA for donation. From Auditor – thanks for gift voucher. From Sarah Arrowsmith – thanks for photo album with memories of her year as Captain. From Julia Tate (NCVLGA) for YVLGA donation of 6 bottles of wine for the End of Season event raffle.

LADY CAPTAIN’S REPORT: Thanks to everyone for their messages of support following the recent AGM. She welcomed FW & MPM to the committee & hoped they would enjoy their term. Approaches have been received from both Cheshire & Lancashire Vice Captains who are keen to run 2nd team matches.

COMPETITION SECRETARY’S REPORT: Since she had only taken over 4 days ago, there was a limited amount to report! PR, JS, PH & KL had received training on the new Seniors package of PUMA. YVLGA tee markers for the 1st tee at competitions have been mocked up. Balls for 2s – PR to obtain quotes. Suitably Sporty – PR to provide dates of YVLGA fixtures & advised that all arrangements to be made between SS & local Pro of Club holding the event.

TREASURER’S REPORT: HD provided a detailed account of the proposed 2019 budget, based on slight growth in subscriptions (0.5%). As there will be 3 away Richardson Trophy matches in 2019, this will be an expensive year for team expenses. A separate detailed budget was provided for the Northern Vets Championships at Rotherham next year.

YVLGA / YLCGA LIAISON & SENIORS CHAMPIONSHIP: KL reported that contact had been made with the YLCGA Captain, Helen Lilley, & the rationale behind the new YLCGA Seniors Championship had been explained & accepted. The basic premise is that the new competition is open to ALL affiliated members over 50, not just members of the YVLGA.

FEEDBACK FROM THE AGM: Excellent feedback received from various sources – an informative & well run event. Perhaps in future, the seating at the back of the room could be better arranged to avoid noise from the coffee machine/catering.

FEEDBACK FOM THE NCVLGA ANNUAL MEETING: Held on 10th October. SA reported that the Yorkshire proposal (seconded by Lancashire) that the Best Gross & Best Nett Trophies be won by different people was passed by 9 – 2 (2 votes per county).

WEBSITE / EMAIL: HD has now updated the website to reflect 2019 committee & competitions.

AOB:

2019 Reps meeting – 22nd August 2019.

World Handicapping System – JS & PR attending a seminar.

 


 SUMMARY OF 86th AGM MONDAY 15th OCTOBER 2018
at Sand Moor GC
(click here for full draft unapproved minutes)

President, Jo Somers welcomed 85 members from 43 Clubs to the AGM which was preceded by the presentation of the Trophies for 2018.

Competitions: 6 out of 10 competitions over-subscribed, whilst others not full. An additional 4BBB competition run for those balloted out of over-subscribed competitions, deemed a success. The Rules & Prizes for each competition had been reviewed & standardised. It had been agreed tp keep current competition formats for 2019. Individual maximum handicap increased to 40 for some competitions. It is each Club's responsibility to prioritise entries from their own club. Penny Holroyd stood down after 3 years as Competition Secretary & Patsy Rochester (Oakdale) was announced as her successor.

Treasurers Report: The Association's current financialnmposition was enviable. It was emphasised that members support for competitions & maximising entry fees, cancellation of events & whether there were 2 or 3 Richardson Trophy away matches affected the year-end balance sheet.

Website: The website & email were now the major source of communication/information. Members urged to look regularly to keep up-to-date.

Lady Captain's Report: Sarah Arrowsmith reported it had been a very busy 12 months & thanked Jo (Lady President) for her support throughout the year & navigating her up & down the A1(M).
Highlights of her year were:
..... Pat Wrightson became our Champion for the 9th time
..... 2 Friendly mataches & 2 wins
..... County Colours presented to Betty Sworowski & Heather Staniforth
..... Sadly Yorkshire came 3rd in the Richardson Trophy
..... Enid Spencer won the YLCGA Challenge Bowl
..... Karen Jobling won the Best Gross in English Senior Women's Championship
..... Julie Wheeldon & Betty Sworowski won the Brenda King Foursomes
......Karen Jobling on being chosen to play for England in Senior Home Internationals
......Karen Jobling (4th), Julie Wheeldon (11th) & Betty Sworowski 23rd in England Golf's Senior Order of Merit
......Karen Jobling & Julie Wheeldon being selected to paly for the North in the Jamboree at Hexham

Committee: Click here to view the 2019 Committee

Date of Next AGM: Monday 14th October 2019 at Sand Moor GC Leeds


  SUMMARY OF MINUTES FROM THE COMMITTEE MEETING 1 SEPTEMBER 2018

(to be approved & signed @ 20th October Committee Meeting)

Competitions;

* 2019 Competition Venues to be put on website ASAP.

* Spring Championship to remain as a Stableford for 17-40 handicaps.

* 9-Hole competition to remain as a 4 Ball Texas Scramble.

* Raffles; income from raffles in 2019 to be given to YLCGA Alison Nicholas Fund & also £50 to each host Clubs’ Lady Captains Charity for YVLGA Competition venues.

* All Competition Rules reviewed & updated showing format, handicap allowance & number of prizes.

* The Am-Am competitions would remain at 90% handicap allowance

* It was agreed that the previous years' Trophy winners would not be given automatic entry if a ballot was required, to the following years competition

* President’s Trophy held every 2 years to remain as a Tri-Am.

Matches;

* Yorkshire won 3 out of 5 Richardson Trophy County Matches to finish 3rd overall (Beating Lancashire, Northumberland & Cumbria but losing to Cheshire & Durham). This year’s winners were Cheshire (again).

* New County Colours have been awarded to Betty Sworowski (Wath) & Heather Staniforth (Hallamshire) in 2019.

Committee;

* The AGM will be held on Monday 15th October at Sand Moor GC @ 11am. Please support your Association & meet the 2019 Captain, your new Officials & Committee.

* The Committee discussed & agreed that it was not necessary to change the name of the Association from ‘Veteran’ to ‘Senior’ at this present time.

Club Representatives;

* Feedback from the informal meeting with Club Reps on Thursday 23rd August @ Pike Hills GC near York was both helpful & positive. 31 Club Reps attended & Notes of the meeting & the ‘Q&A’ session are available on the website.

Northern Vets (NCVLGA);

* Yorkshire players Karen Jobling & Julie Wheeldon were selected by the Northern Captain to play for the North at the Jamboree held at Hexham GC in August this year. The North finished runners-up (again) to win the Tony Moffatt Quaich with the South winning overall & receiving the Miller Stirling Trophy.

* The Northern Annual Meeting will be held on Wednesday 10th October 2018 at Moortown GC, which the YVLGA Captain & Secretary attend.

* A small working group met in July to organise the poster, entry form & programme for the Northern Championships to be held at Rotherham GC from 21st-23rd May 2019 (for handicaps 20 & under). Information will be available on the website after the Annual Meeting.


      SUMMMARY OF MINUTES FROM THE COMMITTEE MEETING SATURDAY 9 JUNE 2018
 (to be approved & signed @ 1st September Committee Meeting)   

                                                                           

Competitions;

* It was confirmed that it is the responsibility of individual players, pairs & teams to find & send replacements (or a marker) to competitions if they are unable to play at the last minute due to illness or injury etc & inform the competition secretary of any name changes asap.

* 2019 Competition Venues to be announced by the end of August & put on website.

* Entry fee for YVLGA Championship to be increased to £18 for 2019 (includes Tri-Am as well).

* Maximum handicap limit for individual competitions in 2019 to be raised to 40, in line with CONGU changes allowing handicaps to increase above 36.This may need to be reviewed in 4-5 years time.

Committee;

* At the upcoming AGM there are vacancies on Committee for 2 Officials; Secretary & Competition Secretary as well as 4 Committee Members. A general job description for Secretary & Competition Secretary is available on the website. However, if you are interested in any of the vacancies & wish to chat about the jobs/roles then please ring Gill or Penny. The Association needs your support.

* A new GDPR Policy (Security of information) has been agreed & is available on the website. The Secretary is the official ‘point of contact’ regarding any concerns.

Club Representatives;

* Informal Meeting arranged for 11am on Thursday 23rd August @ Pike Hills GC near York. Coffee/tea & biscuits available beforehand. It would be lovely to see as many Club Reps as possible but if not available, then please ask somebody else from your Club to come in your place. This is your chance to ask questions & discuss any issues or concerns before the AGM.

Northern Vets (NCVLGA);

* At the Business Meeting in May, it was announced that Ruth Whitehead (Cheshire) to take over as President for 2019-20 & Barbara Laird (Cheshire) as incoming Vice-Captain at the Annual Meeting in October 2018 at Moortown GC.

* Yorkshire will be hosting the Nortrhern Championships at Rotherham GC from 21st-23rd May 2019 (for handicaps 20 & under).